Brooding management in deep litter system
Essential operations to be carried out prior to receiving chicks
- Cleaning and disinfection of poultry house.
- Spreading litter material.
- Form a circle of about 5 feet diameter with brooder guard which can hold about 200 to 250 chicks.
- News papers, heat source, feeder and waterer arrangements inside the brooder guard.
- Spread ground maize or fine mash / crumble feed on the newspaper.
- Check the brooder for proper temperature of 90 to 950 F.
Essential operations to be carried out after receiving chicks
- After arrival of chicks, moist the beak and leave the chicks under heating source.
- Maintain a brooder temperature of 90 to 950F for the first week and then reduce 50F every week until it reaches the room temperature.
- First and second day provide electrolytes and vitamins in drinking water to overcome stress.
- Watch the behaviour of chicks in order to find out whether temperature provided is correct or less or more.
- In case of too much temperature, we can reduce the heat by reducing the power of the bulb or we can raise the heating element.
- In case of too low temperature, we have to supplement more heating source or we can further down the heating element.
- 24 hours lighting programme may be adopted during 0-8 days of age.
- One hour darkness may be provided to train the chicks in case of any power failure.
- Remove the old newspaper after 3 days and destroy it by burning. If necessary, spread another set of newspaper.
- Remove brooder guard after 7 to 10 days depending upon the season.
Brooding and rearing of broilers
- It is similar to that for egg-type chicks
Source: Expert System on Poultry, ICAR-TANUVAS-TNAU
© 2006–2019 C–DAC.All content appearing on the vikaspedia portal is through collaborative effort of vikaspedia and its partners.We encourage you to use and share the content in a respectful and fair manner. Please leave all source links intact and adhere to applicable copyright and intellectual property guidelines and laws.