Voluntary Organizations (VOs)/ Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs) play a major role in the development of the nation by supplementing the efforts of the Government.
The NGO-Partnership System (NGO-PS) Portal called as NGO-DARPAN enables VOs/NGOs to enrol centrally and thus facilitates creation of a repository of information about VOs/NGOs, Sector/State wise. The Portal facilitates VOs/NGOs to obtain a system generated Unique ID, as and when signed. The Unique ID is mandatory to apply for grants under various schemes of Ministries/Departments/Governments Bodies.
The NGO-Partnership System (NGO-PS) Portal (NGO-DARPAN) was earlier maintained by erstwhile Planning Commission, which has been replaced by the National Institution for Transforming India (NITI) Aayog w.e.f. 1st January, 2015. The Portal, therefore, is being maintained at present under the aegis of NITI Aayog.
Facilities provided by NGO DARPAN
- Get details of existing VOs / NGOs across India
- Get details of the schemes of the participating Ministries/Departments/Government Bodies offering grants to VOs / NGOs
- Apply on - line for NGO grants
- Track status of applications for grants
Registration in NGO-DARPAN
Who can register?
Any VO / NGO which is registered as a trust/ society/ a private limited nonprofit company, under section-25 Company of the Indian Companies Act, 1956 can Sign Up on the NGO Darpan.
Voluntary organizations (VOs) / Non Governmental Organizations (NGOs) include organizations engaged in public service, based on ethical, cultural, social, economic, political, religious, spiritual, philanthropic or scientific & technological considerations.
VOs include formal as well as informal groups, such as: community-based organizations (CBOs); non-governmental development organizations (NGDOs); charitable organizations; support organizations; networks or federations of such organizations; as well as professional membership associations.
VOs / NGOs should broadly have the following characteristics:
- They are private, i.e., separate from Government
- They do not return profits generated to their owners or directors
- They are self-governing, i.e., not controlled by Government
- They are registered organizations or informal groups, with defined aims and objectives
In India a Voluntary Organization / Non Governmental Organization can be registered as Trusts, Societies, or a private limited nonprofit company, under section-25 Company of the Indian Companies Act, 1956.
How to register?
- All VOs/NGOs which are already registered as trusts/societies/private limited nonprofit companies are invited to Sign Up on the NGO Darpan (NGO-PS) Portal/Website.
- On clicking "Sign Up" button, an online form will appear which is to be filled.in.
- While filling in the form, the user is required to make a User ID (can be any word or name which the user can remember and use in the future for Logging in to the account) and a Password.
- On completion of the form, click on the submit button. The user then gets a message on the screen, saying "You are Successfully Registered." The user is also shown a Unique Id, which is required to be noted down very carefully (or print the page or save the page) at that time. It would be something like AB/2010/0001234.
- An Email with a link for activation will be sent to the user's email id, which has been given during the process of registration. The user needs to click on the link 'Activate your account'.
- After clicking on the link, the user would be asked to provide the Unique ID which was shown to him / her earlier (ie something like AB/2010/0001234).
- After thus Activating the account, the user can use their UserID and the Password to Login into the website and avail the facilities.
Documents to be uploaded
- Registration Certificate should be scanned in pdf or jpg (preferably) format, and uploaded. The size of the file should be less than 2MB.
- In case of Trust deeds, only the first page and the page with the signature on it should be scanned and uploaded.
- PAN of the organisations and PAN and Aadhaar numbers of the officer - bearers.
For any issues related to registration, please write to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application for NGO grants
The NGO-PS does not sanction/provide grants to VOs/NGOs. Various ministries/departments/government bodies provide and sanction grants to VOs/NGOs under different schemes listed in the NGO-PS.
- To apply for grants, the first step is to create a user account.
- The registered users, after logging in to their account, can view the department-wise schemes, providing NGO grants. The user can then select the scheme under which application for grant is to be submitted. The link provides all the details of the scheme - format for application, documents to attach etc. The details of the Nodal Officers for the concerned scheme can also be got from the website. Any queries regarding schemes or about how to proceed for schemes and grants will be clarified by the respective Nodal Officers
Source : NGO - DARPAN
- NGO Directory in NGO-DARPAN
- Common Guidelines for Implementation of Centrally Sponsored Schemes (CSS)/ Central Sector (CS) Schemes through NGOs